As an online conference organizer you have an awesome opportunity to create something far better than what we are accustomed to in the physical world.
The sudden rush to digital due to COVID-19 has made video meetings an anywhere, anytime reality for many in the arts and culture sector, and beyond. From online staff meetings to live performances delivered digitally, one-to-one and one-to-many video conferencing has proven its ability to keep us connected, keep us working together and keep moving forward.
Early in the pandemic response in March 2020 we saw quick pivots toward digital events and conferences. They made clear: event organizers, hosts and speakers – many relative newcomers to these digital spaces – needed to make the leap toward digital engagement, learning and interaction.
The bottom line is: your digital conference or online event has real costs, requires different skills to produce and host well, and you have to figure out how to raise the revenue you need to make it sustainable.
Through Future Perfect, we have been researching and evolving a strong framework for a new breed of digital conferences which are more engaging, more accessible, more affordable, and minimize the digital divide that impedes communities with less access to high-speed internet from participating fully online.
PDF SERIES for download: How to design and deliver awesome digital experiences
- Fundamentals of Great Online Conferences: A Practitioner’s Perspective on Design and Technology
- Online Conferences Thrive on Attendees’ Participation: From ‘Attendee’ to ‘Participant’ in 7 steps
- Accessibility and Inclusion: Creating Better Online Conference Experiences for More People More Often
- Financial Considerations of Online Conferences: Cost Drivers and Revenue Streams
- Online Conferences: Essential Tips for Speakers Or How to Achieve True Participation and Learning Online
Webpages with this same content
- Fundamentals (PDF1)
- Design (PDF1)
- Digital Tools (PDF1)
- From Attendee to Participant in 7 steps (PDF2)
- Accessibility and Inclusion (PDF3)
- Online Conference Cost Drivers (PDF4)
- Setting Registration Price (PDF4)
- Sponsorship (PDF4)
- Tips for Speakers (PDF5)
The BC Museums Association and Heritage BC have embarked together on Future Perfect, an initiative funded by the Canada Council for the Arts’ Digital Strategy Fund. Led by Inga Petri, Strategic Moves with invaluable support from Lynn Feasey, Points North Consulting, and Jason Guille, Stream Of Consciousness and Felicity Buckell.