One way to get search engine optimization right is to think of SEO from the earliest stage of conception of a web site, or a web page. That means you’ll write the site for people and you’ll construct the code for search engines.
Writing for people includes
- Starting with your keyword list
- Using your most important keywords, rather than many variants, in title tags, urls, page’s description tag, headings, and body text
- Be authentic and trustworthy
- Heed the power of the url
- Create the most important Meta tags; title tag, description tag, keyword tag
- Create image tags for each image on your site (this is also a good accessibility guideline)
You can optimize every page on your web site. If you have 40 pages that’s easier than if you have 40,000 pages. Simply triage the needs for improvement and invest where you’ll see the biggest return on your investment: for instance, home page, secondary landing pages, or key sections.
New content should simply be conceived with these simple SEO concepts in mind, rather than be retrofitted later.